A woman hires Magnum to protect "Norman," a prized show horse who may be kidnapped.
A perky woman hires Magnum to protect 'Norman', who is facing kidnap unless she pays a ransom; but the case has some unexpected turns when Magnum finds that her uncle is an old Vietnam comrade who is against him being hired, and that Norman is none other than a prized race-horse.
- Tom Selleck as Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV
- John Hillerman as Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
- Roger E. Mosley as Theodore "T.C." Calvin
- Larry Manetti as Rick Wright
- Christine Belford as Adelaide Malone
- Cameron Mitchell as Captain Charles Cathcart, USN Retired
- Don Lamond as McDonald
- Allan Kucin as McDonald #2
- Gray Gleason as Tony
- Tremaine Tamayose as Ring Attendant
- Deborah Takushi as Waitress
- Magnum wears the red and white "Al's Automotive and Muffler King" cap (with the word "Tigers" in large letters in the middle) for the first time! He will wear it in several more episodes to come.
- Christine Belford is a well-known actress who has appeared in numerous television shows (and films) of the 1970s and 80s (Banacek, Marcus Welby, M.D., The Six Million Dollar Man, The Incredible Hulk, and others). She appeared in a 1972 episode of Mannix (1967-1975) with John Hillerman, and was in an early episode of Battlestar Galactica (1978-1979) with Larry Manetti.
- "Five-O" is mentioned again (5:00 and 42:57). Magnum said "Five-O had roadblocks set up within 15 minutes". (Noted by Tim)
- Tremaine Tamayose (Ring Announcer) is a well-known local Hawaiian actor/comedian/playwright.
- Adelaide Malone: ...You see, I've been saving myself for the right man.
- Magnum: Well, I think that's just fine. (smiles)
- Adelaide Malone: Do you really? Because lately I've been worried that maybe I've been "saved" too long, like a jar of strawberry preserves on the shelf all winter that just explodes one day, and there you are with jam all over the ceiling and broken glass all over the floor.
- (to Adelaide Malone)
- Magnum: ...take a deep breath, get on your horse, and ride like the champion you are, because if you don't, they'll win. They'll have beaten you, even if they don't get Norman. Are you going to let that happen?
- Adelaide Malone: Hold it, or I'll blow you to glory!
- (to Adelaide Malone)
- Magnum: Do you carry sterility insurance?
- Adelaide Malone: The kindest eyes I'd ever seen. Thomas Magnum, private investigator.