TC and Magnum are each coaching a youth basketball team and a young girl joins TM's team.
T.C. and Magnum play coach to two junior basketball teams, but Magnum calls "foul" when he learns that his newest star player comes from a criminal foster home.
- Tom Selleck as Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV
- John Hillerman as Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
- Roger E. Mosley as Theodore "T.C." Calvin
- Larry Manetti as Rick Wright
- William Schallert as Bob, the Foster Father
- Dana Hill as Willie
- Jo Pruden as Vera, the Foster Mother
- Joe Moore as Ernie, the Driver of the Car
- Madeline Press as Gloria, Ernie's Wife
- Roy Apao Jr. as Gus
- Haku Kahoano as Danny
- Sundown Spencer as Lee
- T.C. went to Grambling State University where he was the 3rd all-time leading scorer in basketball in school history. He shoots left-handed.
- "Sweet Georgia Brown", the theme song of the Harlem Globetrotters basketball team, is played during the closing credits instead of the usual Magnum P.I. theme song.
- Willie: Like I said, defense. You better make it a zone two. They'll get killed playing man-to-man.
- T.C.: Man, talk is cheap! When was the last time you played anyway? Oh, the Academy! That basketball powerhouse (laughs) with their height limit. What were you, their center? Kareem Abdul Magnum! (laughs)
- Magnum: Don't go anymore farther. I know what you are going to say next - the third all-time leading scorer at Grumbling.
- T.C.: Grambling!!
- Magnum: Oh...yeah (laughs)
- T.C.: Yeah!!
- (regarding the kids playing basketball on the estate's tennis court)
- Higgins: They can do more damage out here then Sherman's men did marching through Georgia!
- Magnum: Winning is not everything Willie.
- Willie: (laughs) Next you'll be telling me that it isn't important whether you win or lose, but how you play the game, right?
- Magnum: (smiles) How'd ya guess?
- Willie: Come on, Magnum, these are the 1980's. Well, that kind of stuff went out with high-button shoes.
- Magnum: Well, maybe it shouldn't have. Maybe those trite expressions are there because... they have meaning. I mean, you sparked this team, Willie. You pulled 'em within a basket of the toughest bunch of ballplayers that I've seen for their age. Now, maybe we didn't win, but you became part of the team.