Magnum returns from California and finds a Hollywood crew on the estate filming a movie based on a Robin Masters' novel. When the star's double is injured, Magnum is hired as his replacement.
It's lights, camera, action when Magnum is a stunt double, a prop gun's blanks are mysteriously replaced with real bullets, and his respected friend is accused of attempted murder.
- Tom Selleck as Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV
- John Hillerman as Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
- Roger E. Mosley as Theodore "T.C." Calvin
- Larry Manetti as Rick Wright
- Dana Wynter as Olivia Ross
- Kathleen Nolan as Myrt Callahan
- Larry Pennell as Jack Martin
- Kwan Hi Lim as Lieutenant Yoshi Tanaka
- Barry Nelson as William B. Knox
- Bart Peaslee as First A.D.
- Frank Atienza as Tim
- James McInerny as Carl
- Madeline Press as Second A.D.
- Jon Sakata as Sushi Brother
- Cynthia Ream as Nurse
- Dana Wynter (Olivia Ross), once called Hollywood's "oasis of elegance", will make another guest star appearance in Season Three's "Foiled Again"
- Barry Nelson (William B. Knox) was the first actor (and the only American) to play James Bond on screen, in a 1954 adaptation of Ian Fleming's novel Casino Royale on the TV anthology series Climax! (preceding Sean Connery's interpretation in Dr. No by some eight years).
- Veteran television actress Kathleen Nolan (Myrt Callahan) was President of Screen Actors Guild (SAG) from 1975 to 1979. She was the first woman ever elected as President of SAG. She previously appeared on Magnum P.I. in Season One's "The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii".
- Higgins: Mr. Knox, I guarantee these dogs (Zeus & Apollo) will perform under any circumstances. They are like finely-tuned machines, designed to response their master's command.
- Mr. Knox: I don't want "machines". I want a couple of dogs that can act. They are going to have to go up against The Boys (the Sushi Brothers). I want vicious!
- Higgins: I assure you, they have multiple levels of ferocity, whatever the situation shall require.
- (Magnum walks in, Zeus & Apollo growl)
- Higgins: A case in point.
- Magnum: Illusion and reality finally came together. And like I always knew, deep down inside, illusion never really had a chance. (Narration)