The Poison God's Ki'i, a wooden Polynesian God image, was found in a cave in Hawaii. Unless it is returned to the cave, anyone who comes in contact with it will die.
Magnum mingles with high society when he provides security at a charity auction of valuable antiques. Meanwhile, mainland detective brothers A.J. and Rick Simon are hired to track down a stolen - and supposedly cursed - Hawaiian artifact.
- Tom Selleck as Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV
- John Hillerman as Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
- Roger E. Mosley as Theodore "T.C." Calvin
- Larry Manetti as Rick Wright
- Jameson Parker as A.J. Simon
- Gerald McRaney as Rick Simon
- Morgan Fairchild as Catherine Hailey / Alex Houston
- Liam Sullivan as Harold Sands
- Branscombe Richmond as Gerald Akoa
- Gillian Dobb as Mabel
- Michael Cowell as Pedicab Driver
- Ron Wood as Attendant
- Leonard Scanlan as Dennis
- Morgan Fairchild made her guest appearance in this episode, then she's with Tom Selleck in the 1979 television movie The Concrete Cowboys.
- There are two different endings to this episode, one wherein the character of Catherine escapes which paves the way for the continuation on Simon & Simon (crossover series) episode, Emeralds are not a girl's best friend. And the other wherein Catherine is caught.
- T.C.: Mention what? What did Orville do?
- Magnum: Oh, it's something that happened in Saigon, but I promised Rick I would never mention it again....What was that snake lady's name again?
- Rick: That's not fair Thomas! That's really not fair!
- T.C.: What's not fair?
- Rick: It's personal.
- Magnum: It's funny, you know. It's kinda like what happened to you (T.C.) that time in Madame Woo's...With that sword-swallower from the Lotus festival?!
- T.C.: Ahh...(startled look)
- Higgins: Magnum! The look on your face is even more vacuous than usual. You've failed havn't you?