|Real Name:||Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV|
|Title:|| Private Investigator|
United States Navy Officer
|Born:||1978 or 1979|
|Originally From:||Detroit, Michigan|
|Current Location:||Honolulu, Hawaii|
|Parents:|| Thomas Sullivan Magnum III (Father)|
Katherine Sullivan-Peterson, neé Courier (Mother)
|Family:|| Frank Peterson (Stepfather)|
Joey Peterson (Half-brother)
|Affiliations:|| Navy SEAL|
|Portrayed by:||Jay Hernandez|
Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV is a former U.S. Navy SEAL and now licensed Private Investigator. He also works for Robin Masters as live-in security consultant.
Early life Edit
Both his father and grandfather were naval officers. He was born in Detroit, but raised in the Tidewater region of Virginia. In high school, his football team won a Virginia State football championship.
When he was a kid, he and his father used to go to Baseball games together.
His father was a fighter pilot who served in the Vietnam War and died (got shot during a mission) leaving Magnum’s mother to raise Thomas as a single mother. After the death Magnum didn't want to go to the games alone, but later he discovered that it feels like his dad is with him whenever he watches a game.
He is a POW (Prisoner-of-war). He was held captive by the talebans in the Korangal Valley in Afghanistan together with TC, Rick and Sebastian Nuzo for 18 months. He would be kept in solitary confinement for long stretches. They only survived because they had each other. Since that time he owed Nuzo because he saved his live (had a bleeding wound in the stomach that would have killed him. Nuzo burned it out with gunpowder, that stopped the bleeding).
He was engaged to a woman named Hannah, a former CIA analyst who embedded Magnum and his team in Afghanistan (and bedded the man himself, apparently). Unfortunately for Magnum, it was all an act. Hannah betrayed his trust, which led to his capture and time spent as a P.O.W.
His mum, who had been sick for a while, passed away while he was held in captivity in Afghanistan. He didn’t even know she had died until after he was released. He missed her funeral.
After they escaped they all moved to Hawaii. When they were about to go home after the escape (Uncle Sam was going to fly them home first class) they first had to attend a press conference. While Magnum is getting dressed, Nuzo comes in to tell him that everybody was waiting for them. Magnum didn’t want to go but he had to because “We’re a big story. Four American POWs pull off their own Great Escape …)”. For Magnum it sounded weird to go home, he was not ready for that step. Nuzo felt the same so he suggested not to do it. He was the one to mention a new life for all four of them on Hawaii “Somewhere where the weather is nice, a place that feels like you are always on vacation, because people on vacation don’t think about their problems.”
Hawaii didn’t just keep them together; it also gave them a purpose. He has a deal with Robin Masters, a war journalist who wrote a series of books based on him and his friends. He resides in his home (the guesthouse).
- his nickname is "White Knight"
- as a general rule, he doesn't work for friends
- he and his three friends are wearing the same ring with the Cross of Lorraine. That’s originally the symbol of the French Resistance. For them it represents their friendship and the pact they made in Afghanistan: to be always there for one another.
- in the Pilot episode, he is shown in choker whites with the Navy Seal Budweiser and Parachutist Badge. The ribbons on his uniform are Navy Cross, Bronze Star with "V", Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with gold star, Combat Action Ribbon, Navy Unit Commendation, Meritorious Unit Commendation, Navy Good Conduct Medal (though only enlisted get this after 3 years), National Defense Service Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, GWOT Expeditionary Medal, GWOT Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, Navy Expert Rifle, Navy Expert Pistol.
- he is mad with himself because Nuzo saved his live, and he couldn’t save his.
- during one mission he HALO jumped into North Korea to avoid surveillance (in his book Robin had him jump from space)
- after he gave the code for the gate-entrance of Robin’s house to friends, clients and occasional one-night stands Higgins implemented a new security policy. The universal gate code has been retired. Regular visitors, like staff, will each have their own personalized gate code.
- to get Kamekona’s (a friend of Rick) help to find s stolen tuna in Episode 2 he agrees to have at least one meal at his shrimp truck every week for the next month
- he answers the question why he often works pro bono although he barely makes money as P.I. with “When I was a sailor, I didn’t make much. I did it because I thought I was helping people. I guess that is all I know.”
|I Saw the Sun Rise||From the Head Down||The Woman Who Never Died||Six Paintings, One Frame||Sudden Death||Death is Only Temporary||The Cat Who Cried Wolf||Die He Said||The Ties That Bind||Bad Day to Be a Hero||Nowhere to Hide||Winner Takes All|
|Day of the Viper||I, The Deceased||Day the Past Came Back||Murder is Never Quiet||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
- He is severely allergic to cats.
- He knows Noelani und Kamekona from “Hawaii Five-0”
- The ringtone for calls from Rick is “Girls just wanna have fun”
- loves animals, but doesn’t get along with Zeus and Apollo (Juliet’s dogs)
- all top divorce lawyers on Hawaii hate him