The Ferrari, with an unconscious and injured Magnum in it, is found at the bottom of a cliff. Magnum is rushed to a hospital but when he regains consciousness is found to have amnesia and cannot remember what happened.
An accident in the Ferrari results in amnesia for Magnum, who awakens in a hospital bed to discover that he is the prime suspect in a murder case and must race to clear his name.
- Tom Selleck as Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV
- John Hillerman as Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
- Roger E. Mosley as Theodore "T.C." Calvin
- Larry Manetti as Rick Wright
- Mark Withers as Dave Gilbert
- Kwan Hi Lim as Lieutenant Yoshi Tanaka
- Nancy Lee Grahn as Wendy Gilbert
- Glenn Cannon as Dr. Ibold
- Clay Wai as Parking Attendant, at Crouching Lion Inn
- Laurie Foi as Hostess at Crouching Lion Inn
- Tony Compton as Mechanic
- Norm Compton as Ambulance Attendant (credited as Norman Compton)
- Magnum is introduced to both Lt. Tanaka and Doc Ibold for the first time in the series.
- The title is from the song Try to Remember from the musical comedy The Fantasticks written by Tom Jones and Harvey Schimdt originally sung by Jerry Orbach.
- Magnum gives his birth information as August 8, 1944, in Virginia. This makes him slightly less than six months older than Tom Selleck, who plays him.
- Higgins: He drove Robin's Ferrari over a cliff?
- T.C.: Well, I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose!
- Higgins: One can never be sure with Magnum. Well, he'd better survive if he knows what's good for him.
- Higgins: Actually, Magnum, I do remember something that might, perhaps, be of use to you. It was during The War, Burma. I was British liaison to Merrill's Marauders. One of the American chaps, his name was, uh, Cal, was unfortunately in very close proximity to an exploding mortar. Miraculously, his life was spared by Divine Providence, plus his proximity to the underside of the Captain's jeep. However, the concussive force of the explosion rendered him unconscious for a week. He woke up with no recollection of the incident. Of course, I managed to alleviate his condition with the help of...
- Tanaka: Do you think Sparky will re-sign Kemp? He has good power.
- Magnum: Average wheels.
- Tanaka: How's yours?
- Magnum: What?
- Tanaka: Your wheel's up to a little trip to jar your memory?
- (to Higgins)
- Magnum: It isn't a memory. It's a dream. It's a dream I had ten years ago. It's a recurring nightmare. It never happened.